Food that brings you comfort

Source: Pinterest

By Naylii Sophea

Have you ever heard of comfort food? So basically comfort food is a food that provides a nostalgic or any sentimental value to someone and comforts food is something that is simple and really easy to prepare. Comfort food applies differently to every person. There are some people who eat comfort food to remind them of good times, there are some people who eat it so that they won't forget the special taste of the food, but most people eat their comfort food so that they will be satisfied and happy with what they have. The feelings of eating and enjoying it may be temporary but that's what makes it so special right? Well, at least for me.

I still remember when I was a little kid, nanny which is my grandma always suap me white rice with an egg & soy sauce (telur kicapla!) . I guess you could say that this is every Malaysian comfort food right? but the feeling that I get each time she suap me, I feel cozy and safe. I always wonder does every food taste like this? does every food makes you feel cozy and safe? But why do when I eat other food it doesn't excite me as much as when nanny suap me? I've been asking these questions until I was old enough to be thinking on my own.

Then I came to my realization when I was growing up and living apart from nanny. That is when I finally acknowledge nasi, telur & kicap is my comfort food. I did ask some of my friends do they have their own comfort food and their answer amaze me because some of them said they don't have any and some of them said that they don't even know what is comfort food, for them, food is just a food, a particle that you eat and makes your tummy's full, I guess these kinds of people is a simple-minded which is stunning but there's one person who caught my attention, her answer shocked me.

She said "my comfort food is the one that brings me unbearable pain and I almost died because of it"

"Wow," How come a food that supposes to brings you comfort could kill you?

She said that her comfort food was an apple with asam boi, she was obsessed with it and she ate it almost every day (actually it’s good to eat an apple every day because an apple a day can keep a doctor away) but she told me that one night while she was busy talking and eating, she almost choked on the apple which I found it's silly at first (that is why you should never talk when your mouth's full) Ever since that, her comfort food turns out to be her worst nightmare.  I find it quite funny and confounding at the same time.


The meaning of comfort food does means differently to each individual. But you know, foods weren't just only can give you energy but it also can bring back memories that you already have forgotten and helps you to calm yourself whenever you are sad, mad or happy. Food is always going to be something that would connect us with someone else and reunite us with our loved ones. Food wasn't just a need but it's also can take us to someplace that we'd never imagine we would be.

That's it from me tonight, feel free to share with me your comfort food and your experience with it on the comment section down below, who knows I could try it and enjoy the taste of your comfort food too :)

Happy weekend and stay safe everyone

xx naylii

Comments

  1. My comfort is nasi with ayam goreng, you make me miss my family during this PKP time :( membesar dengan nasi putih dan ayam goreng kunyit dah besar ni tambah cili padi makan time hujan. Pehh layannnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember one meal I had when I was a little girl at my grandmother's house was called "sup ayam with nasi putih". I called her nenek because she took care of me from childhood when my mom and dad worked. Every day my mom sent me to nenek house. Everyday I have to eat. She's not my real grandmother. Heheh. I miss those memories eating together with "ayang".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts